5360m, Nangdalo (Kangla ) Pass
2 Days flights
20 Days Trekking
March - Novem
Lodge and Tent Camp
Upper Dolpo Trek is well known trek with less touristic and remote trek in Nepal. You will explore Biggest Phoksundo lake, many Historical and ancient Shey Gumba , Namgung Gumba, Yangjer Gumba during the trek. The Adventure Nangdalo (Kangla ) Pass 5360m, Sela (Shey) Bhanjang 5010m, Jyanta Bhanjyang 5221m are another attraction of this trek. You will explore many beautiful villages, Bon and Buddhist Gumbas, mane walls, Stupas, land scape etc.
- Unique landscape and rain shadow area
- Beautiful Phoksundo Lake
- Historical and ancient Shey Gumba , Namgung Gumba, Yangjer Gumba
- The Adventure Nangdalo (Kangla ) Pass 5360m, Sela (Shey) Bhanjang 5010m, Jyanta Bhanjyang 5221m
- Unique culture, life style
- Bon and Buddhist mane walls, stupas, chhorten and Gumbas.
- Less touristic and remote area
- Himalayas view Kanjirowa Himal 6612m, She-Shikhar 6139m, Yala 5900m, Norbung 6085m, Jhyarko Dingla 5892m, etc.
- Explore beautiful Ringmogaon, Nisalgaon, Sugugaon, Khomagaon, Shimengaon, Tinjegaon, Dho Tarap, Tarakot and Juphal
Upper Dolpo Trek
Upper Dolpo Trek will start from the Kathmandu – Nepalganj – Juphal flight. Trek will start from Juphal which is the gateway to Upper Dolpo Trek. You will trek to Phoksundo Lake. This lake is the biggest in Nepal. The trek will continue to Shey Gumba via the highest Nangdalo pass 5360m. Shey Gumba is Bon Po ancient Gumba found in the 11th Century. After this, you continue to visit Namgung and Yangjer Gumbas. These Gumbas other attractions of this trek. We explore Nisalgaon, Khomagaon, Shimengaon, and Tinjegaon and we have another pass Jyanta Bhanjyang to connect Dho Tarap. From, Dho Tarap, the trek continues down to Tarakot, Dunai, and finally to Juphal.
Alternative route: From Tinje, you have an option to finish the trek in Jomsom and Pokhara.
Day 01: Arrival in Kathmandu
Day 02: Upper Dolpo and Lower Dolpo restricted area permit preparation day
Day 03: Kathmandu – Nepalganj
Day 04: Nepalganja – Juphal – Dunai
Day 05: Dunai – Shyanta
Day 06: Shyanta - Rechi
Day 07: Rechi - Phoksundo
Day 08: Rest Day
Day 09: Phoksundo - Forest Camp
Day 10: Forest Camp - Nangdala or Kangla Base Camp
Day 11: Nangdala Base Camp – Nangdala Pass – Shey Gumba
Day 12: Rest Day
Day 13: Shey Gumba - Namgung Gumba
Day 14: Namgung - Saldang
Day 15: Saldang – Yangjer Gumba
Day 16: Yangjer Gumba – Sugugaon
Day 17: Sugugaon – Jyanta Bhanjyang Phedi
Day 18: Phedi– Jyanta Bhanjyang Pass - Tokyu
Day 19: Tokyu – Dhotarap
Day 20: Dhotarap – Nawalpani
Day 21: Nawalpani – Laina Odar
Day 22: Laina Odar – Tarakot
Day 23: Tarakot – Juphal
Day 24: Juphal – Nepalganj – Kathmandu
Day 25: Departure home
Arrival in Kathmandu
1342m, Kathmandu Hotel
On your arrival in Tribhuwan International airport. Our representative hold board of Himalaya Trip . After your arrival transfer to Hotel in Kathmandu.
Upper and Lower Dolpo Permit preparation
1342m, Kathmandu B Hotel
Today, we prepare your Upper and Lower Dolpo permit , trekking gears preparation and briefing with guide and other staffs.
Kathmandu - Nepalganj by flight
150m, Nepalganj 1 hour flight B,L,D Guest House
Flight from Kathmandu to Nepalganj ( 1 hour flight), overnight at Guest House.
Nepalganj - Juphal - Dunai
2140m, Dunai 30 minutes flight , 3 hours trek B,L,D Tent Camp
Early flight from Kathmandu to Juphal and trek to Dunai (2282m, 3 hours walking),overnight at tent camp.
2520m, Shyanta 5-6 hours walk B,L,D Tent Camp
Trek from Dunai to Shyanta (5-6 hours walking ), overnight at Tent Camp.
Shyanta - Rechi
2940m, Rechi 5-6 hours walk B,L,D Tent Camp
Trek from Shyanta - Rechi (5-6 hours walk), overnight at tent camp.
Rechi - Phoksundo
3733m, Phoksundo 5-6 hours walk B,L,D Tent Camp
Trek from Rechi - Phoksundo (3733m, 5-6 hours walk), overnight at Tent Camp
3733m, Phoksundo B,L,D Tent Camp
Today is rest day. You will visit Phoksundo lake and Gumba overnight at same place.
Phoksundo - Forest Camp
Forest Camp 5-6 hours walk B,L,D Tent Camp
Trek from Phoksundo - Forest Camp (5-6 hours walk), overnight at Tent camp.
Forest Camp - Nangdalo Base Camp
Nangdalo Base Camp 5 hours walk B,L,D Tent Camp
Trek from Forest Camp - Nangdalo Base Camp, overnight at tent camp
Nangdalo Base Camp - Nangdalo Pass - Shey Gumba
5360m, Nangdalo Pass 7-8 hours walk B,L,D Tent Camp
Trek from Nangdalo Base Camp - Nangdalo Pass - Shey Gumba (4160m, 7-8 hours walk) , overnight at Tent camp.
B,L,D Tent Camp
Visit Shey Gumba ,overnight at same place
Shey Gumba - Sela Bhanjyang - Namgung Gumba
5010m, Sela Bhanjyang 6-7 hours walk B,L,D Tent Camp
Trek from Shey Gumba - Sela Bhanjyang - Namgung Gumba (4430m, 6-7 hours walk), overnight at Tent Camp
Namgung Gumba - Saldang
3770m, Saldang 4-5 hours walk B,L,D Tent Camp
Trek from Namgung Gumba - Saldang(3770m, 4-5 hours walk) , overnight at Tent Camp.
Saldang - Yangjer Gumba
3750m, Yangjer Gumba 5-6 hours walk B,L,D Tent Camp
Trek from Saldang. - Yangjer Gumba (3750m, 5-6 hours walk), overnight at Tent Camp.
Yangjer Gumba - Sugugaon
3840m, Sugugaon 6-7 hours walk B,L,D Tent Camp
Trek from Yangjer Gumba - Sugugaon (3840m,6-7 hours walk) overnight at Tent Camp.
Sugugaon - Jyanta Bhanyang Phedi
4900 Jyanta Bhanjyang Phedi B,L,D Tent Camp
Trek from Sugugaon - Jyanta Bhanjyang Phedi (4900m,6 hours walk) , overnight at Tent Camp.
Phedi - Jyanta Bhanjyang Pass - Tokyu
5221m, Jyanta Bhanjyang Pass 7-8 hours walk B,L,D Tent Camp
Trek from Phedi - Jyanta Bhanjyang pass - Tokyu (4209m, 7-8 hours walk) , overnight at Tent Camp.
Tokyu - Dho Tarap
3944m, Dho Tarap 4-5 hours walk B,L,D Tent Camp
Trek from Tokyu to Dho Tarap (3944m,4-5 hours walk),overnight at tent camp.
Dho Tarap - Nawalpani
3475m, Nawalpani 6 hours walk B,L,D Tent Camp
Trek from Dho Tarap - Nawalpani (3475m, 6hours walk) , overnight at Tent Camp.
Nawalpani - Laina Odar
3370m, Laina Odar B,L,D Tent Camp
Trek from Nawalpani - Laina Odar (3370m, 5-6 hours walk), overnight at tent camp.
Laina Odar - Tarakot
2537m, Tarakot B,L,D Tent Camp
Trek from Laina Odar - Tarakot (2537m, 5-6 hours walk), overnight at tent camp.
Tarakot - Dunai - Juphal
2475, Juphal B,L,D Tent Camp
Trek from Tarakot -Juphal (2475m, 7 hours walk),overnight at tent camp.
Juphal - Nepalganj - Kathmandu
Kathmandu B,L Hotel
Flight from Juphal - Nepalganj - Kathmandu by flight, overnight at Hotel.
Final departure to home
- Pick-up and drop-off service at Trivuwan International Airport in Kathmandu by private Car/Van/Bus.
- 3 Nights Hotel in Kathmandu on BB Plan.
- Kathmandu - Nepalgunj - Juphal and Jumla - Nepalgunj - Kathmandu by flight ticket.
- 1 Night Guest House in Nepalgunj.
- All the meals (Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner ) during trekking with Tea/ coffee .
- Lodge and Tented accommodation during the trek.
- A local government license holder Trekking Guide ,cook ,during the trek, required number of porters, their food, accommodation, salary, insurance, equipment, medicine.
- Upper Dolpo Trek and Lower Dolpo trekking permit and National Park Fee.
- Trekker\'s Information Management System (TIMS) Card.
- First Aids Kit.
- Duffel Bag.
- Fingertip Pulse Oximeter (we use every day to check your oxygen level and pulse in your body to avoid high risk ).
- Himalaya Trip T-shirt.
- 13% Government VAT and Official expense.
- Local seasonal fresh fruit like orange, apple etc.
Whats not Included?
- International airfare and visa fee (15 days for USD$25 and 30 days for USD$40).
- Lunch and Dinner in Kathmandu.
- All the drinks such as: coke, beer, mineral water.
- Your Trekking gears.
- Your travel insurance which should include the emergency rescue.
- Tips for all staffs.
Not satisfied with this itinerary?Are you interested in planning a Custom Trip now? It takes only 2 minutes! Customize this trip
We haven't found any particular reviews for this trip. If you'd like to view all our reviews, please view All Reviews
Packing List for Upper Dolpo Trek
- Trekking boots (If new boots are purchased, “break them in” to avoid blisters) and spare laces
- Hat (Warm),scarf and gloves
- Trousers (Warm trousers are useful higher up in the mountains in the morning and at night.
- Running shoes, sandals or thongs (To wear in the camp at night or when your boots are wet).
- Shorts and trousers
- Wool-blend socks, liner socks and under wear(three pairs)
- Thermal underwear
- Fleece jacket
- T-shirts (two or three) and long sleeved shirt with collar (long sleeved – shirt is particularly suitable for avoiding sun burn.)
- Laundry soap powder or bar
- Toilet paper
- Sunscreen (SPF 20+) and lip guard
- Pocket knife
- Iodine ,water-purification tablets or filter
- Insect repellent ( for lower elevation)
- Stuff sacks
- Back pack
- Sleeping back and silk liner
- Water bottle
- Torch (flashlight),spare batteries and bulbs
- Duffle bag
- Down jacket
- Camera ,memory card and battery charger( spare batteries)
- Books and magazines
- Trekking poles
- Quick- drying camp towel
- Day pack (This is a small rucksack to carry personal requirements for the day e.g. toilet items, cameras, towel, soap, chocolate bar etc.)
- 2-4 large plastic bags: to separate clean clothes from dirty ones
- Personal medical supplies
What kind of food do we expect ?
We organize Upper Dolpo Camping Trek. Our cook will prepare the foods. The foods are hygienic.
- Breakfast: Simple Breakfast (Eggs any item, Tibetan Bread, Pancake, Muesli, Oat Porridge etc.)
- Lunch: Nepali Thali (Plain Rice, Lentil soup, Potato Curry, Green Vegetable, Papadam,Tomato Hot spicy, Chicken curry optional), Macorani , Spaghetti, Potato item, Mo.Mo or dumpling, Friend Rice, Fried Noodles, French fries etc.
- Dinner: Nepali Thali (Plain Rice, Lentil soup, Potato Curry, Green Vegetable, Papadam,Tomato Hot spicy or pickle, Chicken curry optional), Macorani , Spaghetti, Potato item, Mo.Mo or dumpling, Friend Rice, Fried Noodles, French fries etc.
- Dessert: Fresh Fruit (Apple, orange, pomegranates, Banana with any seasonal fruit) serve as sweet dessert.
Note: All the drinks soft, hot, hard drinks are not included.
When is the best time to do Upper Dolpo Trek ?
We organize this trek all the months. But if you are planning to do this trek at the best time. We recommend you following time.
- Winter (December – February): This is coldest time of the year. It will be difficult to trek because of there will be heavy snow. There is high chance to closed the trek during this time.
- Spring (March – May): This is best time to trek on Upper Dolpo trek. You will have wonderful weather with warm temperature.
- Summer (June – August): This is monsoon in Nepal. But Upper Dolpo Trek is rain shadow area. This trek is still beautiful to do this trek.
- Autumn (September – November): This is another best time to do Upper Dolpo trek. After the raining season. It will be fresh and clear weather will be appear. It will be warm temperature.
Available of the trip
We organise small group private trip. If you are 2 or more people in your group, you may book any dates.
The travel insurance is need in case of any emergency. It is recommend to have. If you are doing short and low elevation trek, you can do normal insurance. But if you are doing high altitude or adventure trek, you should have emergency rescue.
Last Minute booking
Normally, trekkers plan the trip before 3-9 months. Some trekkers decide the trip in last minutes. It is also possible to book your trek at last minutes. For the Last minutes booking, you need to make a full payment.
Tipping is highly expected. Our staffs try their best during the trip. After the trip, Tipping is expected. It is not fixed amount or percentage. We recommend the tipping according to their services.
When you are travelling, the safety is most important. For the safety of our clients, we trained our guide and porters. They are all register trekking / Tour / Climbing guide and experience porters.
Extra personal expenses
For the extra expenses, it is good to bring USD / Euro / Pound Sterling or ther currency. You may change to Nepali Rupees (NPR) at Tribhuwan International Airport or near your Hotel in Kathmandu. You will use only Nepali rupees during the trip.
Accept few countries , you will get on arrival Nepal’s Visa at the Tribhuwan International Airport or Nepal board. I recommend to fill up Nepal Visa online form and bring it with you. It will be faster and easy for you and visa fee is recommended to bring cash US dollar. You can’t pay by using credit card.
Trip extension or Itinerary Disclaimer
We organize small group private trip. The trip extension is possible but you have to figure out when you booking the trip.
Group joing and Fixed departure
Most of the time, we have small group private trip. Group joining or fixed departure will be available only at the clients request.
You are not taking all the lugguage on the trek. You will take only necessary gears on the trek and rest of the gears, you will store at your Hotel in Kathmandu or Pokhara or in our office in Kathmandu. All the Hotels have free luggage store services. It is more convenient to store at your Hotel.
- Ask permission to photograph people.
- Do not remove or purchase antiques, it is illegal.
- Avoid wearing revealing clothes and avoid outward displays of physical affection.
- Do not anything to disturb environment or wild animals.
Normally, domestic flight is not on time. If you have international flight with domestic connection flight. It is always better to keep some gaps.
For the Booking, we need passport copy, passport size photo by email or What's App and 20% deposit.
Why Himalaya Trip ?
- Fast response
- Small group private trek
- Safety is top priority
- Recommended on TripAdvisor
- Tailor made itinerary
- Seasonal package
- 200 plus trekkers take service every year
- 30-40% repeated customer